So I was eating some grapes tonight. When I eat from a bundle of grapes, I always look for the bad ones first. You know, the small ones, the not-so-optimally-firm/straightup squishy ones. I eat those to begin with so that I can get any and all undesirable experiences out of the way early so as to not avoid creating an unpleasant undercurrent of sub-par grapes. I do feel a need to eat all of them (with the exception of any truly gross looking ones), but I always try to eat them in absolute order of very worst to very best.
How is that a source of inspiration, you may ask. I will explain. Today sucked. It was absolutely horrible. I had to get up at 7:30 after being up til 2:30 the night before. I couldn't stay awake in biology. I failed my biology test. The Rockies got knocked out of the playoffs... after giving up a ninth inning lead. I had to go to weird and boring FHE. It was just not a great day. I was looking back on it all tonight as I was brushing my teeth, and I thought about my grapes, and I had a thought. We don't get to choose when we get the good and when we get the bad. It just comes. Life is like eating a bag of grapes wearing a blindfold and big, thick gloves so you can't feel what the grapes will be like with your fingers. Seriously, though, we've all heard this idea a million times in a million different packages, but it's true. I guess tonight I finally came to realize how true it is; there will always be good going on and good to come. There will also always be bad going on and more bad to come. It's not up to us to decide we want to get it all out of the way at once. We don't get to take the bad only when we're braced for it. It just comes. It is simply a matter of responding. That's the only thing we have control over. You can either be really grossed out and throw out the bag of mostly delicious grapes or you can immediately throw in another good one. As for me, I'm up for another. Today was horrible, but even before it ended it was made sweet again by getting to talk to someone I love and getting to feel her love. So although I may not get to choose when I have one experience or another, I still believe that if I keep looking forward to a better day, I will finish my bag of grapes more satisfied than I could have ever hoped.
No comments:
Post a Comment