Recently, I have discovered within myself a serious desire to write. Part of that is probably because I have been spending a lot of time going back and reading Michelle's blog over the last couple years. I've been jealous of how she gets to openly share her thoughts and feelings. I think that reading has caused me to realize that I have zero outlet for my creative juices.
Now, I haven't exactly done a lot of writing for recreational purposes. I wrote something once about the devastation of discovering my hand no longer fit in a pringles can, and I think that was pretty much a hit. It probably could've gotten published in the New Yorker. My only other experience, though, is something that I look back on and make fun of myself for. We were having a poetry session in my eighth grade language arts class (why do they call it that? It's English!), and I decided to take it (and myself) very seriously. I sat down one night and started to write a poem. It was about how much I miss the simple good things in life. I started to point out examples of some of the specific things that I feel are missing from the world. And I kept going. I think it ended being about two and a half pages of all the things that I think we need more of as opposed to the things of which I think we need less. Then I proudly read it before the class the next day... after about ten minutes of reading aloud followed by not nearly as many impressed and moved responses from girls as I was expecting, I realized I had kind of gone crazy. Other than those two things (one good and one bad... very very bad) I have never really let myself write for the sake of writing. But now I am going to try again.
There may be a problem with that. My track record. I've tried this before. This is the ninth post on this blog (I was shocked to find out it was even that many). As much as I wanted to write, I just never really got into it. But I think I've identified the problem. I was hung up on being overtly serious and philosophical. As much as I enjoy thinking about serious things and being a philosophizer, that is not what I am first and foremost. First and foremost, I'm a goof. I joke around, and I make nerdy, comedic observations about the world around me. So I am making my return to the blogosphere, and I am going to make it count by being me; by taking my silly, cynical, sarcastic, nerdy thoughts that flow through my mind on a daily basis and turning them into bloggertainment (hopefully).
No comments:
Post a Comment